What should I buy.

Welcome to the International Kiko Goat Association Forum. This forum is for all... experienced Kiko breeders, novice, and those seeking information on the Kiko breed they have been hearing about. Please register so you can experience all the benefits of our forum. Let's talk Kikos!
Forum rules
Please be respectful of others' questions, answers, and opinions. This forum is to be used for public discussion of Kikos, topics directly related to IKGA business are not to be posted. No flaming, spamming, or other disrespectful discussion will be allowed. You do not have to be a member of the IKGA to join this forum. Lurkers allowed but we invite you to register and be part of our community.

What should I buy.

Postby Kirby » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:07 am

My wife and I just bought a little hobby farm and we are thinking of raising Kikos. Like to hear your opinions on the best way to get started, we have 15 acres of pasture divided four ways. Should I put my money in a real good buck (good bloodline) or is it better to invest in the doe. Do I buy a good buck and then get new does every other year to keep new bloodlines in the herd? Again just getting started and I like some advice from folks that are in the business.

Thanks,
Kirby
Kirby

Re: What should I buy.

Postby Alex Hosmer » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:13 pm

good questions kirby! sounds like you have done some research. good to have your pasture divided!. as for the goats, in my opinion and my experience, to raise good goats, you have to start off with good goats. get a good buck and good does. you can't go wrong. good luck kirby, talk to as many goat people as you can. am sure you will get lots of advice. what works for some, may not work for others. just speaking from our personal experience. alex
Alex Hosmer

Postby Andy » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:54 am

What do you want to do with the goats? Raise registered breeding stock, commercial breeding stock, terminal slaughter kids only? You first need to decide this...

Andy
Andy

Postby anndunning » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:41 am

Both above good advise. Your sire is have you herd so i would aim for good performNce data on parents and the buck. I like a tame one, easy to handle. Smaller farmers sometimes do more hands on. Good bloodlines also should be considered for the sire. Does depending on what you r goal for your herd is bloodlines and performance or just primarily performance. We are small so focusing on breeding stock and after wr have more infostructure will do more prodution for meat. But we will always do breeding stock. We enjoy it. Ann dunning maple manor farms nc
anndunning

Postby cejalivestock » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:12 pm

Howdy Kirby,
My advice would be to invest your money in pork futures. Just kidding.

Seriously, buy good does.
If you're just starting out. Buy good does.
If you're wanting to produce breeding stock. Buy good does.
Now if you're going commercial....Still, buy good does.

Does are the backbone of the herd.
And if you're just starting out, odds are you won't keep that first buck for long.

This is how I buy.
1. Look at the goat.
2. Look at the data.
3. Look at the management.
4. Look at the bloodline.

Curt
cejalivestock

Return to Let's Talk Kikos