herding dogs with Great Pyrenees

Welcome to the International Kiko Goat Association Forum. This forum is for all... experienced Kiko breeders, novice, and those seeking information on the Kiko breed they have been hearing about. Please register so you can experience all the benefits of our forum. Let's talk Kikos!
Forum rules
Please be respectful of others' questions, answers, and opinions. This forum is to be used for public discussion of Kikos, topics directly related to IKGA business are not to be posted. No flaming, spamming, or other disrespectful discussion will be allowed. You do not have to be a member of the IKGA to join this forum. Lurkers allowed but we invite you to register and be part of our community.

herding dogs with Great Pyrenees

Postby anndunning » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:52 pm

I want to get a herding dog, australian Shepard or border collie. I have great pyrenees. if i put a female australian shepard 2-3 months old in the pasture, will gps attack it and see it as a threat.? Anyone with experiecne in this.
anndunning

Re: herding dogs with Great Pyrenees

Postby blackwell_goats » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:02 am

We use a Border Collie Allie with our goats. We had a GP/Anatolian/Akbash when we got her. He didn’t have a problem with her because he trusted us that we wouldn’t bring in someone who would hurt the goats. This wasn’t the case when we brought in Cody our 100% Anatolian. He would go after Allie anytime she would try to work the goats. It took him seeing for himself that she wasn’t going to hurt them. Allie was confused because she was there first and who was this bully trying to keep her from her job?? Our most recent addition is a very young Anatolian/GP. He ignores her completely.

I would spend a lot of time working with your new herder and LGD. Watch out for issues and address them as they happen. Depending on your GP as to how they will interact together. I know that isn’t a simple Yes do it or a No don’t. I am just passing on how it went with us.

Christine
Christine & Kenneth Blackwell
Blackwell Goats
Kilgore TX
(903) 981-4121
blackwell_goats

Re: herding dogs with Great Pyrenees

Postby anndunning » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:57 pm

thanks for your reply, I decided against it for now, til we have more goats to herd. Actually a trainer for herding border collies with goats has bought one of our best commercial bucks. I will probably eventually get one from her that has some training and get input from her. She is near enough she can meet our dogs. Our GPs are well socialized with the yard dogs, they get out often don't harm them at all. But still want to be as cautious as I can. Probably when I retire and just do farming as a real job and not a side job that it is now.
anndunning

Return to Let's Talk Kikos