Kiko x dairy crosses

Welcome to the International Kiko Goat Association Forum. This forum is for all... experienced Kiko breeders, novice, and those seeking information on the Kiko breed they have been hearing about. Please register so you can experience all the benefits of our forum. Let's talk Kikos!
Forum rules
Please be respectful of others' questions, answers, and opinions. This forum is to be used for public discussion of Kikos, topics directly related to IKGA business are not to be posted. No flaming, spamming, or other disrespectful discussion will be allowed. You do not have to be a member of the IKGA to join this forum. Lurkers allowed but we invite you to register and be part of our community.

Kiko x dairy crosses

Postby mootopian » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:00 am

Hi-
It seems to me that the Kiko breed could offer a lot of desirable hardiness to dairy goats through crossbreeding. Has anyone milked a Kiko x dairy cross, or just a plain Kiko? How does the milk quality and quanitity compare? I, for one, would enjoy owning a dairy goat that didn't need to be dewormed ten times a year and eat a big pile of grain at every milking. Any thoughts?
mootopian

Re: Kiko x dairy crosses

Postby Dave L » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:19 pm

We have 2 kiko/nubian does that are hardy as the kiko and are at the top of raising fast growing kids. I'd say it was the milk. It might be a crap shoot though. This cross may have too many weak nubian genes. We had one cross that seemed to be that way.
Dave L

Postby anndunning » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:58 pm

The original kiko breed from new-zealand is a feral (wild) goat that the locals domesticated and then crossed with milk goats so they would produce more milk for their offspring. The way they weeded out the weak goats was pretty simple they did nothing and the ones who died just died thereby naturally producing goats with the best resistance, easiest mothering and produced the most milk for the kids.
anndunning

Postby Dave L » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:32 pm

At least that's their story and they're sticking to it. LOL
Dave L

Postby blackwell_goats » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:57 pm

I have a Kiko x LaMancha that is awesome. Her first kid was a single doeling but was huge compared to the other kids we had at the same time. She is very attentive.
Christine & Kenneth Blackwell
Blackwell Goats
Kilgore TX
(903) 981-4121
blackwell_goats

Postby anndunning » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:34 pm

I have had one diary farmer purchase a kiko buck to cross with dairy goats and got no complaints. I have someone else wanting to breed just kikos for milk because they were so satisfied with their milk production, hardiness, and low maintenance. There appears to be a market for kikos for dairy production as well.
anndunning

Postby darlad60 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:55 pm

I have three does that are kiko x Alpine, The doe that kidded this year had good milk - great kids
darlad60

Postby Leo Scholten » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:45 am

Darla, our first herd of breed up does included a 85% Kiko X Nubian doe that we culled because of worm problems but kept her 90% K x N daughter who was out of Generator blood line and have bred her since to 100% NZ bucks and every year she has the biggest kids and best adg. (40/50) of all kids and hers are the first to sell to buyers looking for breeding stock. We still Famacha her regularly but rarely have to worm more than once a year.She is a very attentative mother and is only 10% Nubian.
Scholten's Sleepy Hollow Kikos,
Leo Scholten
Leo Scholten

Return to Let's Talk Kikos