Where to buy Levamisole?

Welcome to the International Kiko Goat Association Forum. This forum is for all... experienced Kiko breeders, novice, and those seeking information on the Kiko breed they have been hearing about. Please register so you can experience all the benefits of our forum. Let's talk Kikos!
Forum rules
Please be respectful of others' questions, answers, and opinions. This forum is to be used for public discussion of Kikos, topics directly related to IKGA business are not to be posted. No flaming, spamming, or other disrespectful discussion will be allowed. You do not have to be a member of the IKGA to join this forum. Lurkers allowed but we invite you to register and be part of our community.

Re: Where to buy Levamisole?

Postby blackwell_goats » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:33 pm

I am sorry that I didn't get back to you earlier. Congrats on your first Kiko. I was able to get ahold of some Prohibit. It worked great for our goats since they were immune to it yet. Again thank you for the offer.
Christine
Christine & Kenneth Blackwell
Blackwell Goats
Kilgore TX
(903) 981-4121
blackwell_goats

Postby cejalivestock » Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:27 pm

blackwell_goats wrote:Up to here recently, I never had to use Levamisole. I managed my goats with Safeguard or Cydectin Oral Sheep Drench. Not too long ago, I purchased some goats that I didn’t realize were loaded with resistant worms. The goats all looked good when we looked them over. When I started having problems it was too late. According to my vet, I need to worm my entire herd of 30 goats every 4-6 with it. Does anyone know where I can buy Levamisole liquid in bulk? The only place I can find it now is through my vet and he only sells it one syringe at a time.

Thanks!
Christine

Powder

http://www.livestockconcepts.com/dewormers/70-prohibit-soluable-drench-powder.html
cejalivestock

Postby blackwell_goats » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:49 pm

Thanks for the link. I bought some Prohibit and it seems to have worked very well.
Blackwell Goats
Kilgore TX
(903) 981-4121
blackwell_goats

Postby anndunning » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:30 pm

I didn't see your post back in October so all i can do is try to help now. if the goats you bought were full of worms they will spread the worms thou your pasture and anywhere they dedicate the kiko breed is genetically resistant to an onslaught of worms but not immune. the first thing you need to do is to try to protect the rest of your herd, tannens work well for this go and get some black walnuts and put into the goats water supply the tannin in the black walnut husk wont kill the worms but about 80% of the worms coming from the infected feces will be stunted and wont be able to reproduce. this will get a head start on the worms then get a broad spectrum de-wormer I use valbazen you can get it at most farm supply stores but it has to be a wormer that the worms are not resistant to. I recommend worming every six to eight weeks using famanca to see when the herd has recovered. once the herd has recovered to a comfortable level stop all treatment immediately. in the meantime while the herd recovers pick a pasture to rotate the goats off of and plant some seriecia lespedezia a small woody plant goats love and full of tannen, it should mix well with your pasture grasses and Ive been told it bales well. I hope I helped and was not too late this is my best advice and hope it serves as a permanent solution.
anndunning

Postby blackwell_goats » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:47 pm

I am still trying to get a Famacha class organized within our area since so many of us are interested in it, but...it seems that you need a county extension agent to request it from Texas A&M before one can be organized. Our county extension agent is a lazy bum who "doesn't do much with goats." According to him we don't have many goat people in our area. I could name 10 goat farms within our county.

Anyway, thank you for the advice.
Blackwell Goats
Kilgore TX
(903) 981-4121
blackwell_goats

Postby Andy » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:04 am

FAMACHA courses can only be taught by trained individuals (i.e. vets and some extension agents that have been trained). This is to protect the integrity of the whole farm management system.

If you are near Chicago next weekend, my wife and I are giving a FAMACHA course on Sat. in Kankakee...;o)

Andy
Andy

Postby blackwell_goats » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:22 pm

Sorry I am in Texas. I know that only a trained individual can teach the class but no one in our area is qualified including my vet (he is interested in taking it too). I spoke to Dr. Craddick at Texas A&M about getting him to come teach the FAMACHA class to those of us who are interested. He can't come to do it without a written request from a county extension agent. As I said our CEA is not worth anything. Currently all of the goat ranchers in our county as well as neighoring ones are pestering our CEAs to get at least one of them off their butts to put in the request to Dr. Craddick to come teach it.

Christine
Blackwell Goats
Kilgore TX
(903) 981-4121
blackwell_goats

Postby ListerRanch » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:23 pm

We just recieved more Prohibit if anyone needs some, limited quantities available.
John Lister

John and Elena Lister
Lister Ranch, Ava, MO
http://www.ListerRanch.com/
ListerRanch

Previous

Return to Let's Talk Kikos