Where to buy Levamisole?

Welcome to the International Kiko Goat Association Forum. This forum is for all... experienced Kiko breeders, novice, and those seeking information on the Kiko breed they have been hearing about. Please register so you can experience all the benefits of our forum. Let's talk Kikos!
Forum rules
Please be respectful of others' questions, answers, and opinions. This forum is to be used for public discussion of Kikos, topics directly related to IKGA business are not to be posted. No flaming, spamming, or other disrespectful discussion will be allowed. You do not have to be a member of the IKGA to join this forum. Lurkers allowed but we invite you to register and be part of our community.

Where to buy Levamisole?

Postby blackwell_goats » Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:28 pm

Up to here recently, I never had to use Levamisole. I managed my goats with Safeguard or Cydectin Oral Sheep Drench. Not too long ago, I purchased some goats that I didn’t realize were loaded with resistant worms. The goats all looked good when we looked them over. When I started having problems it was too late. According to my vet, I need to worm my entire herd of 30 goats every 4-6 with it. Does anyone know where I can buy Levamisole liquid in bulk? The only place I can find it now is through my vet and he only sells it one syringe at a time.

Thanks!
Christine
Christine & Kenneth Blackwell
Blackwell Goats
Kilgore TX
(903) 981-4121
blackwell_goats

Re: Where to buy Levamisole?

Postby ListerRanch » Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:40 pm

Christine,

When our wholesaler was FINALLY able to get some, we bought all they had. I am not sure how much we have left as we have been mailing out to different farmers in your same situation. Feel free to call us or drop us an email and we can discuss further.

417-683-2666
or
lister_ranch@yahoo.com

Thanks
John & Elena

John and Elena Lister
Lister Ranch, Ava, MO
http://www.ListerRanch.com/
ListerRanch

Postby Andy » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:14 pm

Christine,

I would not take that advice from your vet. Your worms will be resistant to the Levamisole within a year if you deworm every goat every 4-6 weeks and then what will you use? I would highly recommend you take a FAMACHA course and concentrate on pasture management rather than using drugs to try to solve your problem.

Andy
Andy

Postby Dave L » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:03 am

Christine
I don't believe they make it anymore. I think we used it in our sheep herd back in the 60's and 70's.
Try Valbazen or Ivermectin.
Andy's right though,worming that much even with rotation will cause resistance.
What kinda of vet sells wormer to a farmer in single doses' ?
Dave L

Postby ListerRanch » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:10 am

Dave:
The manufacturer of Lavamisole quit making the product and Agrilabs had to find a new raw ingrediant manufacturer and get it approved by the FDA. This process is completed and Prohibit Brand Lavamisole is slowly becoming manufactured. I was lucky and got one of the first shipments, but like everything that is just back on the market ramp up is slow.

Christine:
If an animal has resistant parasites, the only hope is rotation to a non-resistant dewormer. The key to any parasite program is herd management which includes deworming along with pasture management.
The issue with Goat Parasite resistance is primarily due to under dosing and not getting a complete kill. The idea of multiple wormings is due to the activity of the deworming and it's ability to only kill certain stages of the parasites life cycle.
I would discuss with your vet. I believe he/she meant to instruct you to deworm once, and then to deworm again in 4 weeks to cover the cycle. I do not belive he/she intended you to deworm 4-6 weeks in perpetuity.

John and Elena Lister
Lister Ranch, Ava, MO
http://www.ListerRanch.com/
ListerRanch

Postby Dave L » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:40 pm

John
Yes,now I recall. Thanks for the info.
Dave
Dave L

Postby blackwell_goats » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:34 pm

Thank you all for the responses.

I questioned him on the entire herd every 4-6 weeks and he repeated that every single goat had to be wormed every 4-6 weeks until my worms were under control. I thought that was extreme since before the purchase of these wormy goats in April, I wormed twice a year and had no problems at all. I have had goats since 2003. I only used Levamisole once until recently. The lady I bought these goats from gave me some since that was what she was using. She raked me over the coals for my lack of worming. I gave the ones I bought from her that single dose then put them on my rotation of Safeguard one time and Cydectin Oral Sheep Drench another every six months. The problems began within a with the goats I purchased from her and now are spreading to a couple of my goats that never had problems before. As for pasture management, we separated the sick goats and rotated the rest of the herd to a secondary pasture. The vet wants us to do a control burn on our entire pasture since according to him only sunlight and fire will get rid of them on the ground.

Christine
Blackwell Goats
Kilgore TX
(903) 981-4121
blackwell_goats

Postby Nancy Gilleland » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:40 am

Christine : the best investment you can make is a famacha course..... even famacha will only show you the barber poles, (blood sucker.."evil worms) then the next best investment would be a microscope . learn how to use it, this is usually in your famacha course... after identifying your problem then treat accordingly... Cydentin will not get whips, or tapes...and you must get the head of the tape to successfully eleminate ..this will require 3 treatments of either Valbazen or even Safe guard (Panacure) and not by the recommended dosage on the safe guard bottle which is label for goats now.... usually triple dosage... I'm far from being a vet, but first identify your problem and go from there... Dr Mobini or Dr Will Getz at Fort Valley are a wealth of info on this subject. Bob Story at UGA, or Dr Richard Browning TSU... Dr Maria Browning at Huntsville,AL.. IMPO Famacha is a must for ever goat person..

Good luck
Nancy Gilleland
Nancy Gilleland

Postby blackwell_goats » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:32 am

Thank you for the suggestion. I will have to see where I can take the Famacha course. I have a microscope from when I was in college but will have to see where it got packed down to. You made my husband feel better because he actually did triple dose my mother's Mini-Nubian with the Safeguard last week because he mis-read my instructions.
Blackwell Goats
Kilgore TX
(903) 981-4121
blackwell_goats

Postby jodie » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:40 am

I have some Prohibit Sheep Drench, it contains Levamisole. When my local feed store got in some of the first runs from the new manufacture I bought all they had. I haven't needed it and it will expire in 2 months. It comes in a packet of 120 sheep doses, the goat dose is 1.5 times that so, 80 goat doses. I can send you some, $60 will cover my cost and *I think* shipping.

I just bought my first kiko goats so I am new here. I am willing to take the risk and send you the Prohibit first and then you can send a check once you recieve it. I figure I am the newbie so I am the one who should be greated with suspicion.

Jodie Fritz
Little Green pastures farm
Butler, KY
513-258-8424
jodie

Next

Return to Let's Talk Kikos